Premise: Entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley often observe that “software is eating the world.” But more precisely, software is eating the world of entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley. A lot of startups are really solving the problems of software entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley. After all, the best entrepreneur is the one scratching a personal itch.
- Housing in San Francisco is ludicrously expensive
- So people live in apartments
- So people live in apartments near work
- So people live in apartments near work and take public transit
- So there’s a whole ecosystem of software for people who live in apartments near work and take public transit
- So if you live in downtown apartments near work and take public transit, software is eating your world
- So there’s less coverage for people who don’t live downtown, buy homes in suburbs, commute via car, etc
This is a good news if you come from a different walk of life and are interested in software. There are a lot of opportunities that Silicon Valley misses because it’s not part of that typical walk of life.